Our Story

The Mangawhai Club has a rich history. Since 1953, ours is a tale of bowlers with an enterprising spirit, a location shift from country to coast, hard graft from volunteers, expanding and embracing change.

New Beginnings…

In 1953, while Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Everest and Queen Elizabeth had her Coronation, a small country place called Hakaru sought grants, fundraised and held countless working bees. Thanks to a dedicated group of bowlers who showed fortitude and ignored their naysayers, the Hakaru Bowling Club was formed.

 

A Period of Change…

In 1989, Otamatea County Council made way for Kaipara District Council, and the once sleepy coastal town of Mangawhai continued to grow. Discussions took place around moving Hakaru Bowls to Mangawhai. Once a big sand dune, this complicated site in Mangawhai Park was levelled by volunteers and turned into bowling green ‘A’, with the official club-rooms opening in December 1994. Bowling green ‘B’, was completed in 1996.

 

 

Securing a Charter…

In 2002, it was agreed by a group of bowling club members that becoming a Chartered Club would protect the future of bowls in the area, while keeping the facility robust, commercial and here to stay. In the interests of separating bowls from the rest of the chartered club, a separate entity, ‘Mangawhai Club Inc.’ was established.

 

A Name Swap…

In 2003, ‘Hakaru Bowling Club’ was renamed to ‘Mangawhai Bowls Inc.’ But the Hakaru Women’s Bowls held tight to their name until 2012 when they became ‘Mangawhai Women’s Bowling Club’. In 2018, Women’s and Men’s bowls amalgamated, to become one club under “Mangawhai Bowls Inc.”

MANGAWHAI CLUB-HERO-2500-.JPG

Physical Growth…

From the function room, to new offices and foyer, to the pool/darts and gaming room, along with new toilets – the club has experienced rapid growth. Many voluntary hours and elbow grease sits behind these facilities, and the club is grateful for every milestone achieved.

 
MANGAWHAI CLUB-HERO-2500-8385.JPG

The Future Looks Bright…

A further constitutional change took place in March 2018. Armed with a clear picture of what members want from their club, along with ideas to grow and support the wider community – the future looks exciting.